Friday, June 10, 2005

Accident

It's 11pm sharp when I entered my apartment. The call was scheduled at 11pm and I was sort of the chair, with parties from Beijing and the U.S. It would be embarrasing if I was late (or the last one joining). I was very efficient to close the door, turn on the airconditioner, turn on the modem, turn on the ac adapter of my thinkpad and then take my thinkpad out of my bag as I needed to look up the meeting ID.

The accident then happened. It slipped out of my hands. It's my new T42p which was quite heavy (I didn't bring the battery). I tried to get hold of it and it slipped again. It dropped to the floor from a height of around 3 feet, one corned hit the floor and rebounded! I held it tightly and I was very worried as I wasn't sure if it had any damage and whether the harddisks (got 2) were damaged or not.

Fortunately there was no superficial damage to the thinkpad and it could boot up and run. I must now appreciate ThinkPad's design and especially the T series which was hardened for travellers.

Here's a pic of the damage to the floor. I found that the mark was quite wide and deep.


What the corner of the TP is like:


Now back to the call. I was the 2nd person calling in (altogether 5) and we had a good call till 12:30am.

I did think LIIT played a role in this accident. If I didn't have alcohol, I don't think I would drop by TP. If I didn't have alcohol, I do believe I could grab the TP before it reached the floor.

No comments: