Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Surprise (2)

Just talked to their rep and apparently my account has been compromised.

There was a transfer of money from my account to a 3rd party bank account (another major bank in the U.S.) but the transfer was cancelled. The money still stays there but the a/c was now frozen.

There are some remedial actions required which I won't elaborate further here.

I asked if I was the only victim and obviously there wasn't any concrete answer. The advices include: (1) making sure I have the proper security protection in place for my computer, (2) checking other accounts/logins that share same password, and (3) other accounts with login information stored on the same computer. I think they (or at least the person I talked to) assumed that the compromise occurred at my endpoint side, rather than a massive one on their side, or somewhere in between.

Having said that, the unauthorized transfer happened while I was in Beijing. The company called me 3 days later while I was still in Beijing and I didn't pick up the call.

Let's see what happens next. I am seriously considering to close the account. And I now see the beauty of the inflexibility in the H1 and H2 banks here... :)
P.S. It's quite interesting (or not) for one who is supposed to earn a living (or at least partially) out of the security stuffs. Perhaps I should sell them some professional services to look into the matter...

No comments: